Wednesday, November 7

I've got the power!

So, I will not talk about who I voted for but instead on how blessed I feel that women now days can vote.  This past summer, Mickey and I took a Women in the Media class and I was introduced to so much more information I wasn't aware of about the Women's Suffrage movement.  We watched Iron-Jawed Angels and oh my, I still remember certain scenes of it that are ingrained in my head.  It's crazy to think that there was a point in time when women couldn't vote.  That we were seen as inferior and not able to make important decisions, such as electing our nation's leaders.  So, today, when I went to vote for the second time in my life (the first time was in a small election), I realized the true blessing it was.  I was majorly excited and sported a cheesy smile as I walked in to the country club near my aunt and uncle's house.  I was in and out of there in 10 minutes! I was scared it would take too long but I went in around 10:30 am before my noon class and did my part!
It's crazy because I remember voting in the small elections with my mom and acting the exact same way so that people ten miles away knew it was my first time voting.  My mom was so happy for me! I'm so glad we were able to share that together.  I remember going with her to vote for other elections but there's a different feeling when you can vote yourself, it's indescribable.  I will treasure that moment we had together.

So, here's a bit of an update on life since I last blogged:

1. Dia de los Muertos happened.  Mickey and I went to a festival at his high school program and then we went to an exhibit.  It was all very nice.  It's weird because I don't even remember what I did last year.  I think I was still in a daze from my mom's passing.  At this event, Mickey and I touched a burmese python! It was insane!!!

2.  I have 4 projects/presentations this week.  I've completed/presented 3 of them, so here's to the last one!

3.  Halloween was fun.  Mickey and I went to Chipotle and each had ourselves a $2 burrito! It tasted so much better knowing it was only $2.  We then went to his parent's house and celebrated a bit.

4.  For my social media class I made a PSA for this organization I founded.  I've gotten such good feedback that I'm excited to continue with it for our final project! Susan G. Komen (the city organization), American Cancer Society and Lane from Gilmore Girls shared the video on facebook making me the happiest girl in the world! Mickey and I met our Congressman and even got a picture with him! Here's the link to the video and don't forget to 'like' our facebook page here!

I will attempt to continue keeping y'all updated on life and all it's happenings!


0 comments:

Post a Comment