Sunday, June 26

Fighting like a Girl

So friday was a nightmare.  There I said it.  I won't go into great depth but here is the final result:
My mom has pneumonia, CHF and an infection.  She is getting antibiotics and LOTS of rest.

I don't know if I've ever said this before but my mom is my hero.  There have been a few times when my aunt and plenty of other people thought she wasn't going to make it (like this past friday) and then BAM my mom recovers.  I know this is only because of God and my mom.  God because he is the one that rules and my mom because she is such a fighter and has a great strong will.

Here was what I wrote on my mom's page:

She is so strong and never complains.  She fights because she wants to.  She wants to be here just like I do.  These past three years have been a ginormous rollercoaster of a ride.  We have our ups and we sure as heck have plenty of downs but we are there for each other.  I have come to the conclusion that I have learned several things from this experience.  Here are just a few:

1. Don't take anything for granted.  EVER.  It is hard to describe hearing that your mom won't be able to walk again because her bones are so brittle that they may break if she puts weight on them.  It's difficult, you know? We have come to recognize that this is only as a precaution because we don't want her to get hurt again.  All those times that my mom and I walked around places are images I will always hold dear to my heart.  I remember one time, when we were in New York, we walked around Times Square at night and it was one of the post peaceful times we've ever had.  
2.  Always put your health first.  This is not being selfish. How can you help others and be there for your children if you're not well.  My mom always wanted to be there for everything but she had to chose between working those extra few hours and missing a doctor's appointment to be able to attend my school-related events.  I have learned from her that in order to do what you want to do in life you must first take care of yourself.  

3.  Laughter is the cheapest medicine.  Whenever we have those moments that we just want to scream and cry, we do. We let it all out and then we watch funny television shows.  We focus on life's wonderful things by not letting the horrible parts of life consume us.  We both realize that if we focus too much on bad things we will go insane.  I mean, we're weird in the normal kinda way, but it would just be too much.  So, we laugh at funny things and move on.  
4.  Have faith in God.  Whenever I feel like everything is too much, I pray and then leave it up to God.  He knows how I feel and he will guide us through these difficult times.  I find peace whenever I do leave it all up to him.  
There are plenty other things I've learned but these are the only ones I can think of right off the bat.  

Now for some other news (normal college things):

I'm pretty stressed about financial aid and starting this new PE kind of class.  I feel like summer is flying by like crazy.  :( But I do have to admit that I'm looking forward to starting my fall classes.  

One sad pathetic little thing: We won't be able to watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.  We most likely might still be here or not, I don't really know but watching movies aren't really a big priority.  We will watch Harry Potter as soon as we can though.  

Some interesting tv shows that my mom and I have recently seen/are going to watch are:
Finding Sarah: From Royalty to the Real World
Drop Dead Diva
My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding

Check 'em out!

Until next time. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment