Thursday, November 29

The Memory of Steel Magnolias

So this blog post title is an amalgamation of The Memory of Water (my favorite play) and Steel Magnolias.  :)
Here's the story:
So last fall I was in search of a monologue that would really be good for me.  I was taking my Beginning Acting class and we needed to have a monologue and so I began the search.  I found one but it wasn't up to par with what I had hoped for.  I went and took a trip to my Beginning Acting teacher's office and asked him for his help.  He came up with a few options.  Three Days of Rain, Steel Magnolias and The Memory of Water.  He had a copy of The Memory of Water and felt that was the best one for me.  I read it so fast, it was so interesting and I could relate to it so well! If you know me, you know I'm not a fan of reading, I know, it's sad, so reading this play so fast was a sign of how much I loved it.  It's about sisters dealing with their mother's death.  But guys, it's so much better than that! Anyway, I did it for my monologue and it went very well. I absolutely loved it and still have the copy of the monologue I made.  

"What is it with men?  I mean, I don’t have a problem with men or anything.  I love men.  I’ve been to bed with seventy-eight of them, I counted, so obviously there’s not a problem or anything, it’s just he didn’t even apologise or anything and how can he say on the phone he doesn’t want to see me anymore?  I mean, why now?  Why couldn’t he have waited?  I don’t know what to do, why does it always go wrong?  I don’t want to be on my own, I’m not that sort of person, and I can’t do it.  I did everything for him, I was patient and all the things you’re supposed to be and people kept saying don’t accept this from him, don’t accept that, like, you know, when he stayed out all night, not very often, I mean once or twice, and everyone said to tell him to **** off but how could I because what if he did?  Because they all do, everyone I’ve ever met does, they all disappear and I don’t know if it’s me or what.  I don’t want to be on my own, I can’t stand it, I know it’s suppose to be great but I don’t think it is.  I can’t help it, it’s no good pretending, it’s ******* lonely and I can’t bear it. "

So, guys, y'all won't believe it but my university is doing The Memory of Water in the Spring!!! So, I had it in my heart to audition.  So, here I go, auditioning for only the second time at my university. I think I've improved enough and I'm so glad to have this opportunity. December 5th 9:20pm! Wish me luck. 

Here's the other story:


I picked a M'Lynn's monologue about Shelby from Steel Magnolias.  I am undecided between two but I believe I'm going to chose this one. I absolutely love Steel Magnolias even though it makes me cry.  I remember watching it for the second time when my mom was in hospice and I surprised myself by not crying.  As a young southern gal, I feel a strong connection with these ladies and I feel doing this monologue will be absolutely wonderful.  I have so many memories of watching this movie with my mom and I know that this is a really good choice for a monologue.  So, wish me luck as I begin memorizing lines.  I'll update y'all on other things about theatre soon! :)


"No.  I couldn’t leave my Shelby.  It’s interesting.  Both the boys were very difficult births.  I almost died when Jonothan was born.  Very difficult births.  Shelby was a breeze.  I could’ve gone home that afternoon I had her.  I was thinking about that as I sat next to Shelby while she was in the coma.  I would work her legs and arms to keep the circulation going.  I told the ICU nurse we were doing our Jane Fonda.  I stayed there.  I kept pushing…….just like I always did where Shelby was concerned……..hoping she’d sit up and argue with me.  But finally we realised that there was no hope.  At that point I panicked.  I was very afraid that I would not survive the next few minutes while they turned off the machines.  Drum couldn’t take it.  He left.  Jackson couldn’t take it.  He left.  It struck me as amusing.  Men are supposed to be made of steel or something.  But I could not leave.  I just sat there…..holding Shelby’s hand while the sounds got softer and the beeps got farther apart until all was quiet.  There was no noise, no tremble…..just peace.  I realised as a woman how lucky I was.  I was there when this wonderful person drifted into my life and I was there when she drifted out.  It was the most precious moment of my life." 

0 comments:

Post a Comment